cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and linking remote sites

gordon
Level 1
Level 1

Main office has a local network running all systems under 10.10.10.x. They have a main server, and seperate mail server, with the mail server having 2 network cards on 10.10.10.63 and 192.168.254.243. This in turn is linked directly to an ADSL router and provides the web and email access required.

This net work has a dedicated VPN box (BTnet Equip) with an address of 10.0.10.200 and it can be pinged through the LAN with no problems.

The workstations have ficed ip, and a gateway pointing to the mail server, as well as the browser, though this is set to the 192.168.254.253.

A remote site has been set up, but the Internal LAN is set to 10.10.11.x and the VPN box is set to 10.10.11.200.

Now..... and heres the question at long last.... If I try and PING the 10.10.11.200 bix, I get nothing, so I would also assume that if I try and ping any of the 10.10.11.x workstations I will get the same problem... I had BT check the VPN site was running and THEY can ping the box.. but I cannot....

I know I'm missing somethign really basic here, but for the life of me (and pressure I' under at the mo.) I just can't see what the hell I'm doing wrong.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT HERE?

1 Reply 1

gordon
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I had no option but to figure it out myself!

The first problem was the BT router in the main branch was not linked and working corerctly, I needed BT to fix that.

The next problem was no ping of the branch lans... a bit of head scratching and..... I had not set the deafault gateway on the main machine required to the router on the main site.

Now have a central mail system running, and full control from one branch.

Lovely when it all works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: