Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN as a backup for Frame Relay

Hi,

I need help getting the routing to go to branch offices from Corporate1 office.

Here is the setup:

Our corporate1 office router (interface S0) has a frame relay connection to our corporate2 office router#1 (interface S2). Corporate2 office router#1 then has it's own frame relay to other branch offices (10 office) through interface S1 and the LAN is on interface E0. Corporate2 also has router#2 that has DSL on E0/0 and a crossover from E0/1 to router#1 on E1. Corporate1 office has a 3000 Concentrator doing VPN to Corporate2 office router#2. VPN is already established and I can see and ping the IP address on router#2 E0/1.

Senario:

If the frame relay was to go down between Corporate1 and Corporate2, we want the VPN to take in effect routing everything including all branch offices on interface S1 through the VPN. Since I shutdown the interface on Corporate1 side, the traffic should route through VPN. I have a static ip route on router#1 of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 E1 with a AD of 91. EIGRP is also being used.

Problem:

From Corporate1, I cannot see the branch offices even on the 3000 Concentrator. Although, the router#2 in Corporate2 can see all branches but cannot ping Coporate1 network. The VPN tunnel is established as well.

I hope this makes sense to all you people. Is this even possible to do? Has anyone tried this senario? I need help / advice please form all you smart people. Thanks.

1 REPLY

Re: VPN as a backup for Frame Relay

It should be quite possible. First, make sure that your VPN configuration includes traffic from Corp1 to Corp2 and all remotes and vice versa. You should change your floating static route(s) on Corp 1 to be more specific (not a default) and include Corp2 net and all remotes as destination and specify the 3000 as the next hop. You'll need a floating static on Corp2 router1 as well with destination Corp1 net and next hop router2. Admin distance of 91 is OK, but I would use something higher (200) to be on the safe side. Then when your EIGRP routes go away, the main router on each side will direct traffic to the VPN.

Views
Helpful
Replies