Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Beginner

I have the following Cisco products installed at my location;

Cisco PIX 506 - IOS V6.31

Cisco 1720 - IOS V12.1

I've been assigned to establish a VPN tunnel in to our network for home remote access. My questions are;

1.) Will my existing hardware/software work?

2.) Can I get assistance with configuring these products to accomplish the VPN?

I can navigate through both IOS configurations, but I've never done a VPN. Any help with this project would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES

Re: VPN Beginner

Well.... yes your hardware will work in terms of establishing a VPN. They are, however, much more suited to Site to Site VPN tunnels and not Home remote access. You will have a much easier time if you invest in a Cisco Concetrator 3005. It'll do 100 concurrent user tunnels and is soooooo much easier to setup and manage than IOS based remote access VPN's. It's got a nice easy to use WebUI and you just need to install a software client on the remote machine to enable access to the central site. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input! I will recommend this product to the powers that be and hopefully be able to provide this solution.

have a look at using Pix Device Manager (PDM 3.0). It has a wizard which allows you to set up a remote access VPN quickly and easily. You might need to upgrade your PIX O/S to 6.3 and then upgrade the PDM

copy tftp flash

copy tftp flash:pdm

It will save you learning the crypto commands etc...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content