Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Bridging ???

Is it possible to extend ones network through an IPSec tunnel? In other words - can the IP addresses of hosts on both ends of the IPSec tunnel be on the same IP network? Scenario: We have a wireless LAN setup and want to put PIX 501's on either end. Hosts -> Pix -> Wireless Bridge <-> Wireless Bridge <- Pix <- Hosts. Right now the hosts are on the same IP network (without Pix in place) . Can I put the Pix in place and make and IPSec tunnel between them without having to change the IP network at the remote site? We are trying to encrypt our traffic with IPSec in addition to WEP.

• Other Security Subjects
3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: VPN Bridging ???

Haven't tried this, but if you used a router, say a 1710, you could probably setup a tunnel (e,g. GRE) over IPSEC, and bridge between Ethernet and the tunnel on each end.

Would it be possible to use IPSec (ESP in Transport Mode)? This way I'm using the same IP header. Can I just say anytime a packet needs to go thru either PIX - encrypt it and forward to the other PIX? Does this make sense?

kva

hi 1dkelly

You can setup a router at each location and run Datalinkswitching (Dlsw) on these.

Dlsw works between two IP endpoints and is giving you bridge facilities. I have several installations running SNA over IPSec tunnels via Dlsw. The only thing you must be aware off, is that it doesn't work with Dlsw / UDP therefore you have to turn this off in the Dlsw router. (dlsw udp-disable)

regards Keld

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.