cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Choices

mcdermitt
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to create a vpn connection between one small branch office and our main location which. The branch office has cable connection. The main office has a dsl connection with a Pix506e. Two other offices are connected to the main office, one by a 506, the other by a 871 ISR. Which would be the best choice to connect this office. Currently we have about ten users. Eventually this branch office will become our primary location and at some point will require a T1.

My question is, both the ISR line and Pix seem to have similar features, but the ISR's seem to have a bit more functionality. Which would be my better option?

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

If the choice were just on the firewall capability I agree that the PIX is probably a better choice. But if there is a future requirement for a T1 then I believe that the router is the best choice. It does pretty well as firewall and could support a T1 (if it gets an appropriate interface) where the PIX does not have the capability to support T1, so at some point you would need to get a router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick