cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 3.0.2 wireless via Linksys Wireless Router help needed

shadowgallery
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get the VPN Client 3.0.2 to work with wireless nic card via a Linksys BEFW11S4. I have no problems getting the VPN client to work using my wired nic card, and the wireless nic works fine when not using VPN. I have forwarded ports (500, etc) to the appropriate IP for the nic card, depending on which nic I am using for VPN. But can not get the VPN to work with wireless nic. I am able to get login prompt and it says negotiating but then gets stuck. I am running on W2K and using Dell TrueMobile nic.

Thanks

24 Replies 24

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

You're not Bridging by any chance?

Nope. Linksys router is connected directly to a Cable modem for WAN. 2 physical ethernet ports being used, and the builtin wireless access point for LAN connections are only other connections to the router.

What does the VPN Client log say is happening? What exact messages are you getting?

1 18:19:32.637 05/16/02 Sev=Warning/3 IKE

Received malformed message or negotiation no longer active (message id: 0xBC8886FE)

Sounds like an issue with the wireless nic sw. Check with Dell and make sure that card will support IPSEC, VPN, etc.

I have the latest firmware and drivers. Don't see any info on whether it supports IPSec, vpn, etc. Any idea on how to tell?

The router has an option for allowing ipsec. It needs to be enabled. You needn't forward any ports.

And check your mtu on the wireless nic. Set it to a max of 1400. setmtu.exe can be found in the cisco aironet directory. I think I recall this executable was missing in 3.02 so you may need to download a newer version of the client and extract it or use a 3rd party utility.

I am having the exact same problem. Please let me know if setting the MTU to 1400 max on the wireless nic helped solve the problem. My e-mail is sbhakta@prodigy.net.

Thanks much

Sanjay

I am also having the exact same problem. If I reimage the linksys router with an older version of the firmware it seems to work fine. If anyone has figured out how to make the wireless linksys work with the vpn 3000 please let me know. kevin.mcphail@adisseo.com

I have found that upgrading the firmware on a version 2 linksys router to 1.43 does work with xp and wireless ( i am using it to make this post). However, on a version 1 box, which happens to be mine at home, the upgrade to that box's latest firmware did not help.

gfhamilton
Level 1
Level 1

Having same problem - no luck.. Any success yet? email greg.hamilton@telus.com

I also got this error at home with my befw11s4 when i upgraded my Linksys Wireless Router to the latest firmware 1.42.7 from www.linksys.com. The VPN client would not connect wireless, however, it would work perfectly wired.

With firmware version 1.39.2 i had no problems whatsoever connecting using the vpn client both wired and wireless.

So i then downgraded the firmware back on the Linksys Router to the original version and its now fully working again.

I also tried playing with all the settings in the configuration page and had no luck...

My setup is

Linksys BEFW11s4 v1with 1.392 Firmware

Dell 8100 with Avaya Wireless PC Card Gold (Lucent Technologies)

The Avaya Wireless PC Card Gold and the Dell Truemobile cards are exactly the same and are both made by Lucent Technologies.

Try http://www.evansconforti.com/befw11s4/firmware.htm for firmwares ect.

Hope this helps.

rayeaker
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here with VPN client 3.0.1. Wired systems work fine but not the wireless. It did work until I upgraded to the latest firmware on the BEFW11S4 Version 2 Linksys box.

After contacting them by email, they sent me a document on how to configure the box. I did everything except disable DHCP (don't know why this would be necessary) with no change.

rayeaker
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to get mine working only by downgrading the firmware to version 1.40.2.

Found it here:

http://www.evansconforti.com/befw11s4/firmware.htm

Waiting for the fix from Linksys before upgrading again...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: