cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 3.1.1 and Windows XP

cyanchar
Level 1
Level 1

I installed the Cisco VPN client on my Windows XP laptop. Everything seemed fine until I came back from the required restart, where I got the following error message:

----------

VPN Client

The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched.

The RPC Server is unavailable.

----------

Start up an took extremely long time...and now I have no network or internet access. I reboot, and the system hung up while shutting down. I did a restart, and it still took a incredibly long time...and still no network or internet.

I tried to uninstall the VPN Client, and I get the same above error. Same thing if I try to rerun the installation.

The only way to uninstall the client is to boot in safe mode.

The 3.1.1 client indicates that it should work with Windows XP, but not for me :) Any ideas?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

All my installations on XP worked well. I would open a TAC case if I were you. Come back and let us know what you find.

ccyanchar
Level 1
Level 1

Don't know if it was coincidence or not, but after I uninstalled Norton Anti-virus (pre-2002 version) it worked.

j-linn
Level 1
Level 1

I have just had the exact problem last night. I have noted the post about Norton Anti-Virus. I was not running any virus programs at the time as it is a new system, however, I had loaded Symantec's pcAnywhere 10.5 prior to loading the VPN software. I'm going to try uninstalling pcAnywhere then reinstall the VPN. I'll post again with the results.

the same thing happened to me on a win xp laptop, i found the only way to fix the problem, which is caused by the rpc server taking forever to start, was to boot into safe mode, then uninstall the client, and the 350 network adapter, as well as any other non integrated network device, reboot once and the reboot again to re-install the aironet card and then the vpn client, this fixed the slow boot problems but getting the vpn client to run was another issue which has yet to be solved, however the laptop is fully functioning again

I too experienced this with installations on laptops. The RPC was severly delayed, could not uninstall, etc. I didn't try safe mode though. I reinstall the OS since these were new laptops with no extra software on them except for the VPN we tried to load. Someone said it was a problem with Fast Start. Still trying to figure it out.

judity
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a Network Bridge in your Network configuration (in addition to your Local LAN or Dial up connection)? The VPN client is not compatible with the Network Bridge installed on some XP machines. See the following link to disable the network bridge. Once you do this you should be able to install the vpn client successfully.

http://esupport.gatewayatwork.com/gw_atwork/esupport/SOFTWARE/MICROSOF/7509594/FAQ/750959415.shtml

Judy.

gregguhin
Level 1
Level 1

I have just experienced the same problem loading on a Sony Vaio with Windows XP home additon using the vpnclient-win-3.5.2.A-k9.exe install.