cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vpn client 3.5.1 & windows XP

y.xiang
Level 1
Level 1

I am ruuning a windows XP pro machine (in a domain) with vpn client 3.5.1 and trying to establish a connection to a PIX-515.

The client connects, establishes a secure tunnel and gets the first IP assigned in my vpn pool configured on the PIX. But I cannot ping any resources on the internal network. By the way, the vpn-connection causes rightly a perfomance problem. (almost all other processes on windows XP blocked).

I tested the same client on a win 2k machine that worked very well. So I think there must be a problem between the client and win XP.

I am appreciative for any reponse

6 Replies 6

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What connection type are you using on the XP, are you connecting via broadband, and if so are you say using the built XP PPPoE software or not? Your symptoms may be due to other apps also running on your XP machine, do you have a personal firewall software installed?

Have you tried this with a fresh install of an XP (not much apps), except probably your ISP's

dialer. I've got it working fine here, so I thought I'd ask about the particulars of your system.

I am using LAN-connection, so no PPPoE, no personal firewall. I also tried this on another fresh installted XP machine, got the same symptoms.

In addition, in the "statistics"-window of the vpn client I saw many packets were discarded, and there were only packets encrypted but no packets decrypted. On the PIX-515 I saw the packets from XP arrived, so it seems that the XP didn't receive any packets or did discard all packets.

Any idea?

So far, thank you very much for your answer.

So you are lan connected, you mean your machine is on the same subnet as the outside interface or a few hops away from it? Does your XP have another nic installed or only single nic? I just want to make sure you are only single connection and not using the internal ip address given to you by the concentrator on the second nic (if so release the address on the second nic and reconnect the vpn). You might also want to check if you are using the latest driver for your NIC, as an older NIC driver could exhibit the same issue.

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using Windows XP Home Edition? Was it a fresh install or an upgrade? We seem to experience problems with XP Home Edition connecting to a Cisco 2600 router with VPN client 3.5.1. Also, XP comes with a built in Firewall that you need to make sure is turned off.

no, I am using XP pro. How can I find and turn off the builtin firewall?

I have only one nic and the Xp is in the same subnet where the PIX is.

Thanks.