cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client 4.6 causes Win2k to fail

amwoolf11
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed the client on my desktop at home (Win2k SP4) and it works OK. Now installed it on a laptop I was given and as soon as it finishes connecting to my corporate network Windows fails and reboots. The laptop is also Win2k and I updated it to SP4 plus most recent security patches. The laptop has about 12 hotfixes from the last month that the desktop does not - all security fixes. I haven't removed these yet because I am not certain they are the culprit. Any suggestions besides removing these hot fixes to see if things work? I tried to locate the 4.7 client to download but can't fid it anyplace on the web site. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

The VPN client for Windows 2000 includes a setup program that automatically launches a program to install the network driver. If the program fails for any reason, use the following instructions to manually install the network driver.

Install the VPN client software using the "Installing the VPN Client for Windows 2000" section.

Log in to the system as the administrator, or as a user with administrator privileges.

From the Start menu, select Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections.

Double-click the appropriate Local Area Connection.

Click Properties.

Click Install.

Select Service.

Click Add.

Click Have Disk.

Step 10 Enter the path to the folder in which the netcs.inf, netcs_m.inf, and step.sys files reside. In most cases, this is the same folder as the VPN client install file.

Step 11 Click OK to install the driver.

Step 12 After the driver is installed, close the Network and Dial-up Connections window.

Step 13 Reboot your computer.

The initial install went without any problems. checked the properties and the network driver is installed correctly from what I see. I was given a CD with the client software on it and I don't see any of the files you mention. But this is the same CD I have used on my desktop computer.