Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Client 4.8 - don't want to save username

Hi,

i have version 4.8 of the vpn client and it currently saves the username, but I don't want it to. Is there any way to change this?

cheers

• Other Security Subjects
7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN Client 4.8 - don't want to save username

Lee,

Have you configured "Allow Password Storage on Client" on the VPN3000. If yes, could you disable this option and try the VPN Client again to see if the Username/Password is getting stored or not.

Please refer the below URL for additional information on Allow Password Storage on Client Feature.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/vpn3000/4_1/config/usermgt.htm

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

I think he is just talking about just the username and not the password. Cisco stores the last username used inside each connection profile file. We do not allow password storage via our 3005 but the username is still saved. As far as I am aware there isn't an option to prevent this. At least not one available from the GUI.

Cisco Employee

Daniel,

Thanks for pointing this out.

If you do not want the Username to be cached, you can reconfigure the Username option in .pcf file with !Username= and this should prevent the Username info from getting cached.

After doing this changes in the file, save it, close your VPN Client software, open it

again, select the connection of the respective pcf file modified, make the connection, disconnect, then connect again and you will see that NO Username is displayed

I had tested this in the lab with 4.0 Version of the VPN Client and and works as expected.

Please refer the below URL for additional information

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/rel4_0/admin_gd/vca.pdf

Regards,

Arul

You can change the permissons on the vpnclient.ini file to read only. Users will not be able to make any changes by doing this.

Cheers guys - yes it was just the username i didn't want to save.

I tried setting the username=0 but it didn't work, but i'll try with a "!"

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Lee,

Thanks for the clarification. Let us know the outcome of your testing. Also, the previous post by Alfred is correct. This is read only. So, the end user can still access the .pcf file and edit this option.

Regards,

Arul

yep that works just edit the profile so it says:

!username=

thanks for yor help guys

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.