Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Client Error 412

I have a WinXP Pro workstation that was using the 4.03A client for a few days. All of a sudden they are getting the following error:

Secure Connection is terminated by local client. Remote peer is no longer responding. Error 412.

The VPN client installs and starts up but when they hit connect the userid/password window never pops up. I have had the user uninstall and re-install with no success.

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: VPN Client Error 412

Secure Connection is terminated by local client. Remote peer is no longer responding. Error 412.

Means that the VPN Client detected that the head end device (i.e. VPN 3000 concentrator, PIX or router) was no loger responding. The client does this by using the DPD (Dead Peer Detection) mechanism. DPD IKE peer reachability probes only to devices that it has not received data from in a configurable time period.

Most definitely the reason that you are not getting an authentication prompt for Xauth is because the client is not getting to that point within the IKE negotiation. Perhaps the first IKE packets are not being reached at the peer. If you enable the event log in the client you should see debug information about the client connection attempt. If you see retransmissions, most definitely something is blocking the request or the client is not sending the IKE messages to the peer.

Open udp-500 and udp-4500 on the device (router, PIX)in front of the VPN terminating device (Concentrator, PIX, router). Basically, your Phase I negotiation is not finishing up to allow it to move to Phase 2.

Bronze

unfortunately without the logs from the client and head end device we will not be able to tell you what the problem is. Do you only see retransmissions? Do you see a problem with the IKE proposal exchange?

I finally found the problem. Someone pluged in a high speed radio connection in addition to the DSL line. For whatever reason - many I am sure - that was the problem.

Thanks for all you help!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content