Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client hangs in Securing Communications Channel

greggf
Level 1
Level 1

Group,

I am having a problem with a VPN Client (Version 3.5.1) on a W2K laptop connecting to a 3005 VPN Concentrator through dial-up. We have other laptops connecting successfully, however I am having a problem with two others. The VPN client log has messages similar to these:

35 13:35:02.549 08/17/01 Sev=Warning/3 IKE/0xE300006D

Cannot match Policy Entry:

local host=IP ADDR=0.0.0.0, lcl_port = 0

remote host=IP ADDR=0.0.0.0, dst_port = 0

36 13:35:02.549 08/17/01 Sev=Warning/3 IKE/0xA3000001

Failed to initiate negotiation.

37 13:35:02.549 08/17/01 Sev=Warning/3 IKE/0xE3000002

Function initialize_qm failed with an error code of 0x00000000 (INITIATE:825)

I have tried to remove the internal network adapter on the laptop, manually remove and reinstall the VPN client several times, remove and re-add TCP.

I believe my problem to be on the laptop itself, due to the fact that I have other laptops connecting through the VPN with similar software and setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance, Greg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is a problem on the client itself. This is one of the more common bugs around, and unfortuantely a fix is not overly easy. We used to have to suggest re-installing Windows as the only fix, which most customers were not overly happy to hear. We've since found a better procedure, although it is manual.

Please see the bug notes for this bug CSCdv23894. Notes can be found at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, this is a problem on the client itself. This is one of the more common bugs around, and unfortuantely a fix is not overly easy. We used to have to suggest re-installing Windows as the only fix, which most customers were not overly happy to hear. We've since found a better procedure, although it is manual.

Please see the bug notes for this bug CSCdv23894. Notes can be found at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This has resolved my problem. I do want to mention that in the bug fix instructions that you should also note that you have to removed the reg entry for the first mini port adapter as well after you have removed the second one from the device manager. If you don't do this, it only adds a second mini port adapter and you still have the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: