Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Client prevents internet access from other network computers

Hi.

I run Client ver 4.6.03.0021 from a desktop on an 11 computer network thru a 16 port hub. Internet access is thru a ICS gateway to cable modem. Once, I changed out the cable modem to test a backup and then switched back to the orig modem. After this, only the computers which had VPN Client (running or not) could access the internet. Those computers that did not have VPN Client could access only certain sites. The sites commonly accessed would say "website found. Waiting for reply" but the reply would never come and IE 6.1 would hang. When I would try to ping the sites, it would fail. However, some sites like Google.com would work.

On one of the computers, on a whim, I installed VPN Client but did not configure a connection. That computer now connects to any internet site I want.

Is there an easier fix to obtaining access to the other networked computers without install VPN Client on all of them?

Thanks,

H. Adams

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN Client prevents internet access from other network compu

Hello,

Looks like you are running into MTU problem. The reason I say this is, the VPN client automatically reduces the MTU to 1300 when installed for the entire system. That means, all the computer which have VPN client installed have MTU of 1300.

Try lowering down the MTU of the other systems which do not have VPN client installed to 1300. If it is a Windows system you can use Dr. TCP (free).

Vikas

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Looks like you are running into MTU problem. The reason I say this is, the VPN client automatically reduces the MTU to 1300 when installed for the entire system. That means, all the computer which have VPN client installed have MTU of 1300.

Try lowering down the MTU of the other systems which do not have VPN client installed to 1300. If it is a Windows system you can use Dr. TCP (free).

Vikas

You were quite correct. It apparently adjusted the mtu on the gateway used for internet connection sharing, knocking off the units that did not have Client installed. I adjusted the mtu values and the all computers on the network are fine now.

Thanks so much.

H. Adams

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content