cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client reinstall issues

daniel.kline
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to reinstall my Cisco VPN Client software. After uninstalling the existing version, the install script rebooted my PC. Now the new version will not install. I keep getting a message stating that "A previous version of the client was recently uninstalled, but the computer was not rebooted. You must reboot your computer before installing the new VPN client." I have rebooted many times and I've stepped through the manual uninstall procedure twice. I had originally tried reinstalling version 4.0 and then version 4.6...neither works.

I am running Microsoft XP pro on my laptop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

3 Replies 3

pnicolette
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried System Restore in XP? If I recall, that was the only way I could make it work.

If that's not practical, back up registry and try searching it for "cisco" keys - make sure they're gone.

Paul

Thanx for the clue, Paul. I went through the registry and cleared anything that looked like it was associated with the Cisco VPN client, and I removed the Cisco VPN adapter within Device Manager. Once I completed these steps the installation succeded.

I had originally removed only the files and registry keys defined in the "Manual Uninstall" process shown on Cisco's website, but that process was for Win2K. I guess there are additional steps required for XP.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Dan

Glad it helped. The manual uninstall instructions didn't work for me either, even on Win2K.

Be great if someone from Cisco tries your steps and updates/completes the docs to actually work with current client versions. ;-)

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: