cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vpn client uses same subnet as vpn server

l4nier
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to connect to a customer's vpn server. I am able to connect and authenticate but cannot access any of his servers. I believe the reason is that they are using ip addresses in the same range that I use locally i.e. 192.168.20 is being used on both sides. Someone recommended a lmhost entry but I can't see how this would be effective. Can anyone help with a suggestion for this problem. Also note that IP addresses cannot be changed on either side.

Louanne

lfournier@nexterna.com

1 Reply 1

lwierenga
Level 1
Level 1

If i'm understanding you correctly, your ip block is the same as the site you connect? This shouldn't be a problem and the authentication process is essential in order to determine what resources the you would be entitled to use. I'm not sure what VPN server your customer is using, but the most common are IPSec-enabled devices and it uses a procedure called Internet Key Exchange (IKE) to transfer security keys. While, Microsoft’s PPTP leverages existing user authentication technologies, such as PPP’s Password Authentication Protocol (PAP) and the Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP). I would be more inclined to think that you don't have access rights based on policy at the customer's site.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: