cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client V.4.7 Problem with Windows Media Player

bsmaloney
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever I start VPN Client V4.7.00.0533, then I play any media (MP3 or WMA) with WINDOWS Media Player, the music plays for about 30 seconds, the left speaker goes out...then I hear nothing but static out of both speakers. If I disconnect the VPN, the medias play perfectly. I can reproduce this at will 100% of the time.

I can reproduce this problem on both of my laptops - IBM Thinkpad running WIN2000 Server and Media Player V9 and Dell Latitude running WIN2003 Server and Media Player V10.

Is anyone else having this problem?

10 Replies 10

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

This could be because of bandwidth issues , or try upgrading to new client 4.8.

I upgraded to V4.8.00.0440.

But the problem still exists.

Is it possible that there is a difference in the drivers/software for the network cards on WIN2000 Server and WIN2003 Server? I'm the only one where I work that is having this problem...and I'm the only one that has WIN2000 and WIN2003 installed on both of my laptops....and both of them have this problem?

Thanks

fwhitman100
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, and I have requested help from Cisco with no acknowledgement from them that there is a problem. Just waiting for others with Media Player to start complaining.

This problem exists in all versions of their VPN client that I have tried.

Trust me on this, try reverting to 4.0.4 if you can, just for a test. Also, what is the encryption algorythm in use for the VPN client? AES or 3Des...If AES, try having your admin change to 3des.. I haven't tried your specific issue but it's very close to the issue I'm experiencing with Windows Media Player and even Cisco's own IP communicator, audio cuts out after a few seconds while on the VPN. Switch to the 4.0.4 client or changing encryption (only can be done at the VPN) to 3des will resolve.

We changed to 3DES and that worked!

Thank you very much!

excellent! glad it worked.

fwhitman100
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I have been complaining about it for some time, but it seems that Cisco doesn't know how to launch the VPN client and play a video with Windows Media player so it will never be fixed.

fwhitman100
Level 1
Level 1

It seems that Cisco installs a version of Zone Alarm. I deleted Zone Alarm and WMP runs fine now. Hope this helps.

I checked for Zone Alarm on my PC and I didn't see it. What was the program name that you removed?

Thanks

alindh
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem (with VPN 4.7 and 4.8). It's AES (128 in my case) that causes this problem with the cisco VPN client. I get the same audio static and then mute. Switching to 3DES solved the problem. Also the new 5.0 VPN client seems to solve the problem with AES.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: