cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN client V3.0 errors

s.ingram
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client who is running W98 and when he tries to connect with the client he recieves a "remote peer not responding" any suggestions on what I should look at?

client is connecting through an dial up ISP and I have verified that the concentrator is up with active connections and he is using the correct *.PCF file.

Also, I looked at the live event log while he was trying to connect and I dont even see an IKE exchange.

3 Replies 3

bstremp
Level 2
Level 2

Try using NAT transparency. His ISP could be using NAT or PAT or blocking other IP protocols (like IKE/ESP).

tdeboard1
Level 1
Level 1

This error is typically caused when an incorrect Group Name is entered in the VPN Client configuration. Remember that the Group Name is case-sensitive. To resolve this error, verify that the Group Name is correctly entered in the Name field of the Group Access Information section of the VPN Client configuration.

This error has also been seen on networks that are utilizing Windows 98 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). If you attempt to install the VPN Client software on a system that is running ICS, you will receive an error message indicating that ICS needs to be removed prior to installing the software. However, if you install the VPN Client software on a computer that is connected to the main Win98 ICS computer, you will not receive the error message, but the connection will still not work. In order to get the VPN to function properly, Internet Connection Sharing should not be installed on the computer that is used to connect to the Internet Service Provider.

srg
Level 1
Level 1

You might also check and make sure your client is not running a personal firewall that is blocking the UDP port for IKE

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: