Helpful
Replies

VPN client will work in Vista RC1 with little fix

vschmidt_2
Level 1
Level 1

Dear software developer team for Cisco VPN client,

Dear NetPro Forum Members,

we want to let you know the Cisco VPN Client is working for in Windows Vista RC1 with a little manual fix.

Referring to VPN Client 4.8.01.0410, (released 15-JUN-2006)

and Windows Vista Pre-RC1 Build 5536 (released end of 02-SEP-2006) - German language!

Please notice, this is about a beta software, running on a Release Candidate of the next Windows version. Windows Vista is expected beginning of 2007. This message will be obsolete soon.

The German version of Vista is easy and straightforward to install on a Dell Latitude D420 series laptop. The LAN (Broadcom 57xx) and WLAN (Intel 3945abg) hardware is properly detected and works without additional drivers. A user account with administrator priviliges is required to run the setup.exe of the VPN client. After setup completes the user must reboot.

After reboot and entering the connection details, the message " Reason 420: " came immediately when trying to connect. Reason 420 refers to missing or incomplete connection details. This is because the folder c:\Programm Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client is missing the profiles folder. To find these files the ?show hidden files? function must be selected.

We have chosen to copy 3 of the just created files: vpnclient.ini, internal.ini and \Profiles\vpnprofilename.pcf

from

German version: C:\Benutzer\Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Cisco Systems\VPN Client

English version: C:\user\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Cisco Systems\VPN Client

to

German version: C:\Programme\Cisco Systems\VPN Client

English version: C:\Programm Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client

We have then successfully connected to a PIX 7.0 using a LAN -- DSL router with NAT connection and also using a public WLAN hot spot. In the end, this test was successful.

We want to say a big thank you to the Software developers of the Cisco VPN Client!

Greetings Volker

2 Replies 2

j.frenette
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for that Volker. I'm also having a problem installing the client, but even before the reboot. I get an error during the installation that my Windows Installer needs to be upgraded.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi,

I had not problems during install. I'm using vpnclient_setup.exe not the msi file.

Greetings Volker

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: