Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client won't start when using RDP

I have a couple people who RDP into a Windows 2000 server. From the console the VPN client starts fine (4.6 & tried 4.7). When accessing remotely via RDP trying to start the VPN client throws the error:

"Error 56: The Cisco Systems Inc. VPN Service has not been started. Please start this service and try again."

TYhe service is started and this runs fine from the console.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

if that's the case, then i guess those version may have a bug.

personally, i am still using v4.0.3(a). i was testing v4.6, however, it kept crashing my machine so eventually i gave up.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

i guess vpn client software is having issue to run more than once on a single host.

e.g. let say a pc, if there is already a vpn established, you can't run the vpn client and try to initiate another vpn.

Maybe, but I am not running a VPN to the box, just the RDP. So it is RDP to the box and then Cisco VPN out from there.

When I downgrade to the 4.01 client it works fine. Also, if I rdp into but but then also run it from the console while someone is rdp'd in, it runs fine.

if that's the case, then i guess those version may have a bug.

personally, i am still using v4.0.3(a). i was testing v4.6, however, it kept crashing my machine so eventually i gave up.