cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Concentrator Location

jgarcia22
Level 1
Level 1

I'm implementing a VPN 3005 and I have a pix. Where would I place the VPN 3005 in regards to the PIX? VPN 3005: external int public and internal int private? external int to pix dmz and internal to private ? or both to dmz ports on the pix? Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

mike
Level 1
Level 1

I generally place the 3005 in parallel with the firewall. External int of 3005 on same network as external interface of firewall. Internet int on same network as internet int of firewall.

This allows you to operate the VPN even in the event of a PIX failure. For the more paranoid, placing the 3005 on a DMZ interface off the PIX is nice, as long as you have a routable subnet there...

It's really a metter of preference I'd say. If you place the 3005 in parallel, you can do some hardening on the internet router via an access-list to help protect the 3005 from port scans and eventual attacks.

hope this helps!

mike kantowski

ccnp

Just a note of agreement. Parallel is the way to go. I ave been running that for about 6 months with no major problems although I am graduating to the 515r from a 506 and will place the 506 in front of the concentrator now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: