cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Concentrator vs. Router to Router VPN

dhashamy
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have VPN Tunnels setup using a 3640 and a 2621 router between our HQ and a remote office. We are looking to replace all our dedicated WAN lines with VPN tunnels. What advantages/disadvantages does a concentrator solution have over a router to router VPN, thanks

6 Replies 6

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

Take a look at this conversation:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_messages%26mode%3Dnew%26location%3D.ee71c8b%2F1

I think from an administrative standpoint, the concentrator is easier to setup and maintain.

I would have to agree. I have found the Concentrator to be a breeze to administer and maintain.

I have got only 3 remote office, 1 business partner and 100 remote dialup user. What solution should I use. I am current using a PIX firewall in the gateway.

thanks.

Well if costs isn't your overriding factor I would kill the dial up users and as long as no more than 100 people aren't trying to tunnel into the same location. I would get 3 3005 Concentrators and place one at each site. unless by 3 remote offices you mean 1 main office and 3 remote offices then of course you would need 4 3005's

yes, I need 4 concentrators. So in this case i will have the Pix sitting beside the concentrator of the main office. Do you think there will be any potential routing problem?

I think i just need to add some static routes in the internal routers of the main office. Right?

Thanks.

I think it depends on the size of the VPN network. If you have a handful of sites, the 3005 is attractive because it is very easy to setup. If your VPN is going to be 20-25+ sites, I would go with IOS devices.

With IOS, you can run IPSec transport mode, and the routing protocol of your choice, over GRE tunnels. This creates a much more dynamic VPN. If you added an additional VPN endpoint at your hub location, you could run two GRE tunnels to each spoke site. With EIGRP over these tunnels, you have a redundant VPN.

The debugging funtions are also much more comprehensive in IOS, as compared to the 3005 GUI.

2 cents.