cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Concentrator wierdness.

matt.goff
Level 1
Level 1

While troubleshooting some VPN issues the other day I noticed that the mac addresses on the Public and Private interfaces of my 3015 are exacly the same. Anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks

Matt

5 Replies 5

robertleslie
Level 1
Level 1

that is kind of weird...just checked mine and they are different..albeit by one character.

I have eight of 30xx concentrators and all of them are different. Just this one has exactly the same mac's inside and out. I thought I was seeing things and had a couple of people double check me on it. This I logged into the switches that they are connected to and they also report that they are the same macs.

Is this a new VPN concentrator? If you bought the TAC, you could call Cisco about it...i would think having duplicate mac addresses would cause some problems. Unfortunately, i've never seen this happen so can't be of too much help.

But i'm wondering if when you go to administration, file management, do you see any files? On my VPN 3005, i don't see any files and we've been having some weird things happen to it. Every so often, you can't get into the vpn concentrator, not from the public or the private. And all users get locked out. The only thing you can do is reboot it. So i'm wondering if it is just shot?

This concentrator has been up and running for almost 2 years and hasn't had any problems. It's only been rebooted once and that was so that it could be relocated.

Yes I do see files in file management page. As for the lockups I'd try a OS upgrade.

As long as those interfaces arent plugged in to the same vlan / ethernet broadcast domain , there won't be a problem with them having the same mac. I don't know why it would be that way though. Sometimes this is changable via bootrom but there doesn't seem to be an option in my (admittedly old) Altiga 2.2Rel bootcode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: