Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Concentrator??

Hello all. New to the VPN arena and I'm seeing this term come up a lot. I'm looking to VPN for connectivity for about 5 sites (2-3 users per) to our home office. I've reviewed the 501 and it seemed that it could do the job and use site-to-site. Would I even need a concentrator, whatever it may be??? Thanks.

• Other Security Subjects
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN Concentrator??

You could use the 501 for the remote office but for the main office you might want to consider either a concentrator or an IOS router as VPN head end.

Why couldn't I use 501's at all locations to include the main office? Would there be that much overhead for just 4-5 VPN connections? Thanks.

I would not use PIX 501 at the home location. Your best bet is probably a 506, or even a 515. Scalability is an issue you will run into, because the 501 you intend to install at the home office will be acting as a VPN hub, and it can only support 5 VPN peers. So if you needed to add a 6th VPN site, you would need to upgrade to at least a 506 model. I also think that 5 VPN's terminating into 1 501 firewall would also hinder performance, especially if you plan on using 3DES.

We are currently using the PIX 501 at our site while the remote sites use a mix of PIX 506/Routers/concentrators. We currently run 7 individual tunnels with no problems. Just make sure you beef up the RAM and flash.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.