Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN concentrators and SEP

Hi there

I was wondering about the effect of placing SEP cards in the wrong order.

In the manuals I've read, it says that they should be placed in sequential order but no mention of the consequences. Could it make thigs so that if we have a SEP in slot 1 and another in slot 3 but none in slot 2 the users could could log in but experience problems using the ressources (unable to telnet, ftp, etc) from time to time?

M.

• Other Security Subjects
4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: VPN concentrators and SEP

Hi,

There should not be consequences other than card not working, so that would mean traffic getting encryted using sw(cpu), which should not cause traffic interruption.

Thx,

Afaq

hum...I'm not quite sure either of us understand the other.

What I said is that my old VPN had a SEP in slot 1 and one in slot 3 but none in slot 2 for some reason. I wanted to know if this could cause strange situations where one can use the VPN (get authenticated and all and the VPN client says you are connected) but when trying to open a browser window or issue a ping on the local network, no reply, just like you're not connected at all.

What you say is that it should not matter, it is build to work with whichever SEP order, am I correct?Then why would Cisco insist that you put them in a sequential order? For the sake of it?

This is not to reply to the original questions, but rather than is a new question. If one has a VPN3000 with SEP cards in slot 1 and slot3, is that means that you have a VPN 3000 with SEP redundancy? The SEP card in slot 3 is to backup the card in slot 1 in case of failure. Is my understanding correct ?

Regards,

Engel

Hum. I dunno if you can do it that way.

The reason why in my case they are like that is purely trivial.

The person who put up the VPN decided to do it that way.

Views
Helpful
Replies