Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Design with ADSL

I am currently in the design phase of a multiple site LAN to LAN VPN setup. I currently have one site that is setup like this. Analog line into ADSL modem/switch -> CAT 5 from ethernet port on DSL switch into ethernet on 2611 router. It seems to be working fine. I am planning on ordering several 1721 VPN bundles and adding another ethernet interface. That will give me my ethernet port on my LAN and my ethernet port to connect to my DSL modem. This is my question - Is there any benefit of using an ADSL WIC in place of the ethernet that I am going to order? Is there a performance increase? Don't all ADSL business lines have to come into a DSL modem first, then into a router?

TIA,

RJ

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN Design with ADSL

Hi RJ,

You donot need to have a Cable modem for terminating an ADSL, you can use the Router's ADSL ports to do that, which are present for the 1700/260/3600's, see following: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/wicadsl_faq.html

Hope this helps,

Aamir

-=-

Yes this does help. My next question is about performance.

1. Plugging the ADSL cable (RJ-11) directly into the ADSL WIC.

2. Plugging the ADSL cable (RJ-11) into the DSL modem/switch and then run a CAT 5 cable (10 mbits) from the DSL modem/switch into an ethernet port (10mbits) on the router.

Will the first option have higher throughput?

Thanks,

RJ

I guess there would be no differenece as far as performance is concerned in the above 2 configurations. My reasoning is that my ADSL is 1.5 mbps/384 kbps and the second option still has a 10 Mbps link. Although, there is another hop involved. Can someone confirm or deny a performance difference in the above 2 configs?

Thanks,

RJ

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content