cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

VPN from W2k behind NAT to private network behind Cisco1720

Can this be done?

We have a client whom we manage their networks. We've setup a VPN between 3 offices that are using Cisco 1720 routers. I want to be able to establish a vpn connection from my office to theirs, but I don't have a Cisco1720 router I have a linksys DSL/Router which has minimum configuration and is running NAT to give my internal network access to the internet.

Can I establish a VPN connection from my internal W2K computer to one of the Cisco1720 routers in my client's network?

I don't see how I can setup a tunnel from my internal address that has to go through NAT to the external address of the Cisco1720.

The linksys say's it has support for IPSEC passthrough but I'm not sure what this is.

Thanx for any help.

Matt J.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN from W2k behind NAT to private network behind Cisco1720

If you have a static nat for your client, then you would be able to establish a vpn to the 1720 with the use of the VPN client 1.1, but they only run on 95/98 or NT. Sample config is like:http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/707/ios_D.html

If you want to run on W2K, the VPN client 3.0 would run on it, but it is not supported on IOS not till 12.2.7T not available till around next year sometime.

Community Member

Thanx. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm actually going to try to set it up with Microsoft's included IPSec support instead of using the Cisco VPN client.

Community Member

IPSec doesnt work well with NAT. PPTP is better.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content