cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN into PIX 506 behind home network using PAT

btucke
Level 1
Level 1

I have a home network with all devices accessing the Internet via Internet Connection Sharing to a machine with a xDSL modem. I know ICS uses PAT and this will not work with the current VPN client into the PIX; but, will a xDSL router/modem with a built in 8-port switch be the same or will it consider each machine connected directly to the router/modem and allow a VPN connection? If this will not work, are there any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

3 Replies 3

mmellet
Level 3
Level 3

Only the concentrator supports NAT transparency mode which is what you’ll need for this to work. PIX may support this in the future but not today.

There is a way to achieve the result (I am currently using it with a C803). If you ADSL device is capable of terminating VPN, you can configure it to use the external address as VPN endpoint and therefore it would work. A possible solution is to use a c827 with ip/fw plus 3des (or des) software.

If I have in a central office a VPN 3000 concentrator with Public IP address, and if in my branches I have a PIX behind a router doing PAT which is providing Internet access with negotiated IP address (not capable of terminating VPN and I don't have access to its configuration). Can I configure the PIX for allowing all the computers in the branch office to access my central office throug IPSEC VPN? If yes HOW?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: