cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vpn Nat and MS Windows

t-hinman
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if it's possible to do this....

Have two remote offices both with an ISDN connection to internet. Each one has a static ip for router and rest are doing Nat. Wanted to setup a VPN using MS PPTP originally....but couldn't get the GRE to pass through NAT. MS PPTP to my knowledge uses tcp port 1723 and GRE 43 which isn't really a port...So what I did was setup a Ip tunnel and have lmhosts files and that works ok....but if customer travels and wants to connect to a random ISP and then gain access to remote network the current tunnel won't work so he'd have to use PCAnywhere or something like it. Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

r-simpson
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, it’s possible but you’ll have to accomplish a few tasks in order to do it. You need a WINS server setup, which it doesn’t seem like you currently do, and your clients pointed at that to do your name resolution.

I understand that a WINS server will help with name resolution...but that isn't the problem. If your NOT doing a ip tunnel and want to setup a VPN between two remote offices each doing NAT with the server behind NAT....the clients can't communicate to the server because GRE isn't getting passed. My question is how to pass the GRE once that gets passed then you can have WINS enabled so clients can browse entire Network....At this point they wouldn't even be able to ping the private ip of the router.

What I meant was the remote office wouldn't be able to ping the private ip of the server at other office if the VPN isn't established i.e. 1723 tcp not setup and GRE isn't getting passed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: