cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN over Wireless NIC not working

cjmatthes
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Sony Vaio with a built in Wireless NIC which is referred to in the device manager as Lan-Express (I believe it is an Ornioco product). When I use this to connect to my home AP (SMC 7004AWBR wireless router w/3 hardwire ports) it connects to the internet and my other systems w/o problem, yet when I use my Cisco VPN client to establish a connection to my company's firewall (Pix506) it sees the firewall and seems to create the VPN, yet when I try to ping any of my servers behind the firewall they time out.

The bizarre thing is that if I use the built in hardwire NIC in my Sony I can VPN into work fine, if I use a SMC wireless PCMIA NIC card (2632W) it works, it’s only when I use Sony's internal wireless NIC.

SMC says its not their problem since the SMC card works. Cisco says it isn't their problem since the VPN client works when I hardwire the Sony and they have seen some wireless NICs establish a VPN circuit but not pass traffic, and Sony says they don't provide Network support since their Wireless NIC does establish a connection to the AP. They can't/won't even provide me the documentation on the configuration parameters on their built in wireless modem. I've escalated it to Tier 3 support and management and they just say Sorry!

I'm lost on where to go next. I suspect it is a hardware/driver issue although maybe it is a configuration parameter setting that is impacting the VPN traffic connection.

The Wireless environment is set up as infrastructure w/o WEP and works well.

Here are the device driver configuration settings/options on the Sony Wireless NIC:

Adhoc Demo: Disable/Enable

Authentication algorithm : Auto based on WEP/Must use shared with WEP/WECA compliant

Firmware Download: Disable/Enable

Fragmentation Threshold: 256-2432

Listen Interval: 0-77...

Power: Disable, Auto Enable, Always Enable

Preamble: Auto Tx Preamble, Long Tx Preamble, Short Tx Preamble

RTS Threshold: 0-2432

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

1 Reply 1

kagodfrey
Level 3
Level 3

If you ever plug your vaio in at work using the hardwire port, you may want to try disabling the hardwire NIC on the vaio (if you can) when you are using the wireless card. It looks a bit like issues I have seen with Win 98 laptop users that dial up and vpn over a modem connection and even though the VPN tunnel establishes fine, no traffic passes because the NIC is configured with a network address on the other end of the tunnel, and I think it gets confused, even though the NIC is not physically connected at that time. Either popping out the PCMCIA card or disabling the onboard NIC whilst using the VPN solves this problem, so I was thinking maybe it might work for you - just a thought though so I can't promise any success.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: