cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Router

genghiskhan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2621 router setup for VPN connections to 3 remote networks. e0 is connected to the main network with s0 connected to an ISP via T1 for the VPN connection.

Each remote network has its own tunnel setup connecting via a fract T1.

We are redesigning our network around two 2948G-L3 switches. The 2621 will be connected directly to one of the ports on the 2948G-L3. Is there any reason not to use a routing protocol (ie EIGRP or OSPF) on the 2621 e0 interface? I will be using EIGRP on the rest of the network for now.

Thanks for the help!

G'Day

2 Replies 2

m.singer
Level 4
Level 4

I don't remember coming across any major issues. However that said, you need to look for this information based on the IOS-Platform pair that you will be using. You have not mentioned the IOS version here. There are problems at times, such as the one(unreproducable) documented in bug CSCea18422- Seg V Exception with OSPF), though these get fixed in subsequent releases.

They are both at IOS ver 12.0 at the latest release for each. At this point in time, I may not be using OSPF. There is one other router on the network that doesn't support OSPF, so OSPF is not an important issue. I'll be using EIGRP throughout the network, until such time we can upgrade the feature set for that router.

My main interest is in summarizing the 3 remote networks to the main campus router. The guy who setup the vpn router, only used static routes. I was wanting to understand his reasoning for configuring this way.

It was decided to use OSPF on the network, but since the one rotuer doesn't support it, no problem. We will stay with EIGRP for now.

Thanks for the response!

G'Day!