Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN server config on Cisco 2600 and 1800 series IOS

050878james
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !!

I did a research on the google and cisco web site, but I could not find the complette step-by step easy vpn setup for these to cisco series routers. Everything I found was a difficult to understand, because it was not done in right sequence step-by-step. For example I saw the config for AAA, and I have configured it, than I locked out my self from the router, I was not able to log on to it, because there was nothing about how to create AAA user account in that config sample I found. So than I reset the password. Therfore I am asking can someone tell me how to configure it on the right way step-by-step in right sequence. Both routers have its own IP static WAN ip address, and both wil act as vpn server for cisco vpn clients. I think since both routers are Cisco IOS, it should not be big differences, but if it is, I would like to see it.

Thank You

Very best regards

James

5 Replies 5

mmorris11
Level 4
Level 4

So which part do you want to start with?

Hello mmorris, thank You for reply.

I would like to start with 2600 series, so maybe I can get the VPN working on 1800 series after I understand the 2600 config.

right now I am ready with 2600 series which is running on Cisco IOS Version Version 12.2(37). I have upgraded it uesterday, because I needed FW featres such as IP INSPECT. So the version I am running on 2600 is Version 12.2.37_GD_ENTERPRISE_FW_IDS_ PLUS IPSEC 3DES.

And what I need is :

Correct config for Easy VPN server config,

- Using USER DB on the router, with this I mean that I can have an example where the User 1 and User 2 have its password and username saved in the router DB.

- Using RADIUS server (win radius srever) so I can grant access to the users which are stored in Active Directory DB.

Than I can try to configure the 1800 series, because I don`t think there is much different.

I really hope that You can write short explanation for commands.

example:

! command short description

command goes here

Thank You very much !! I really tryed to search on the google, but I find just large examples, so it is not easy to understand where to begin.

Very best regards

James

Hello,

You don't need AAA to setup VPN. I found this link on the net that gives you a sample config of site-to-site VPN:

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/examplevpn.html

Please rate this post if I could help,

Regards,

Thank You for reply, this link help me, I think I will make it working. I needed to upgrade the version from 12.2.37 to 12.3.20, because I was not able to use the command :

crypto isakmp client configuration group GROUP_NAME

But now I can do it, so I will test and lett You know.

Very best regards

James