cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Setup

clive
Level 1
Level 1

How log will it take to set up router based VPN's (IPSEC with no header encryption)? All of the VPN locations will have fixed IP addresses

7 Replies 7

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

Practice makes perfect! The first time I setup a VPN it wasn’t too easy. I’m glad it was in a lab environment and not in production. If you can get access to a lab environment I strongly urge you to practice in there first. If you can’t get access to a lab, I’d schedule at least 3-4 hours to set it up. Once you get the technique down, it becomes a breeze to add remote sites.

ozan.ocal
Level 1
Level 1

If you have all the information it usually takes 20-30 minutes. then ofcourse testing and verification needs to be done to assure the network service.

maddoxce
Level 1
Level 1

My company has a new T1 Circuit. I need to make appropriate changes to the router configuration to support new provider. Also, we need a vpn solution. We are using a 2500 series router. We have 20 employees, and will need remote access.

I think the Cisco VPN 3000 (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/hb/vp3000/) concentrator would work nicely for your secure remote access. I believe the 2500 series will support a few encrypted tunnels but a lot may be too taxing for it. Hope this helps.

P.ISHA
Level 1
Level 1

WHAT IS VPN.HOW A COMPANY SET UP A VPN

In none technical terms VPN (Virtual Private Network).

Say you have a computer at home thats connected to the internet and your friend two blocks down has his computer connected to the internet.

If you install a VPN device at your house, your friend could use the internet as a path to connect to your computer and share information. This information is encrypted so when data is passing over the internet no unauthorized user can capture and look at your data.

In short you use the internet as a tunnel to connect remote offices together.

yyahaya
Level 1
Level 1

The time taken to setup your routers for VPN will depend on your familiarity with Cisco equipment and VPN concept. The simplest VPN setup between 2 routers involving IPSec+IKE and using pre-shared keys would take around 15 minutes, provided that you have all the necessary technical information and all the links are up.

As an added info, you might want to have a look at the book written by Donald C. Lee, CCIE - a Cisco Press book titled Enhanced IP Services For Cisco Networks. ISBN 1-57870-106-6