Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPN Setup

I am attempting to setup a VPN from my home router to my business router, I have a linksys router at home that supports VPNs and a CISCO 1720 router at my business. My first question is in my work router there is no option to setup any kind of VPN there is a tunnel option but that does not seem to get me anywhere. Do I need a upgraded IOS version? or can i use the Tunnel command? My other question is when I setup the VPN from my home to my business router will all my packets that are destined for the Internet automatically go through the VPN and out through my business Router? My friend and I have been arguing for about 2 hours now about this.

• Other Security Subjects
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: VPN Setup

First of all, you need an IPSec image (IOS) to configure VPN on your 1720.

download a IP PLUS IPSec 56 image of any version eg 12.2 below

- needs 8 MB Flash and 32 MB RAM

image name is "c1700-k8sy-mz.122-10a.bin"

Second question about internet, depends on what your home router is capable to do, on a Cisco router you specify Access-list on what to encrypt using source and destination networks, if the ACL does not match, your packet is forwarded to the normal default route to internet, if it matches, then it encrypts and sends to the peer router (eg; 1720)

Introduction to IP Security (IPSec) Encryption

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/105/IPSECpart1.html

sample configs

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/707/index.shtml#ipsec

HTH

R/Yusuf

Re: VPN Setup

Hi,

To setup a VPN on your 1720 router, you will have to upgrade your IOS. I believe the c1700-sy-mz.121-8c support VPN.

once you connected to a vpn and there is no split tunneling enable you cannot browse the internet on your side. To answer your question: No.

Hope this help...

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.