Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Testing

jmarsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Here is my question. I have an 1811 being installed at the office and a 871 being installed in a home office for my supervisor. I need to create a lan to lan vpn between the two so my boss can always log on to the network at work. I have a ton of examples of how to do this and I am trying to test them out, but when I configure the routers none of them are working. I am trying to test them in a back to back router configuration with the two outside ethernet interfaces connected using a crossover cable. I know when you connect using serial interfaces you needed to set the clock rate, but that is not an option for ethernet. Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong, or help me come up with a usable way to test the two routers please? I know I am probably doing something very stupid and that is why i need help.

Thank you very much for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome.

Glad it worked out.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

You shouldn't have a problem testing it in that fashion. However, it is preferable to connect the routers to a hub with straight-through cables, and a sniffer attached. This helps with diagnosing issues when you are not familiar with the subject matter.

Did you verify IP connectivity between the two routers?

If you have relied on Cisco examples for your IPSec configuration, your configuration may be deficient, as many of their examples are incomplete and/or erroneous.

It's probably best if you post sanitized configurations for the two devices.

I did not verify connectivity between the routers and when I fixed that then the problem resolved itself. It was a stupid mistake. I am not very familiar with VPN's so I was looking at everything that could be wrong but the obvious. Thanks

You're welcome.

Glad it worked out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: