Views
Helpful
Replies

vpn to vpn port 80 etc..

-joe-snow-
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have a problem with a vpn to vpn config, everthing works fine with the vpn and internet access, including static nat to our web and smtp server, however, when trying to access the web or smtp server over the vpn the traffic will not go. i have telnet'd into the remote routers and can confirm that the services are available from the routers view, but not from the lan.

what (probably everything) am i missing. ideally i want to set up another smtp server (exchange) on one of the remote sites, but without port 25 trafic this fails.

Also is it worth looking at using additional IPs provided by the ISP within the same range???? lost......

4 Replies 4

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi I ma very keen to help you but I am not sure if I understood correctly what are you saying ... is that you can't access the web nor smtp server from the other side of the vpn ..? are you able to ping those devices ..?

yes, thats correct, i can ping the server on the other side and telnet to various ports, except 25 and 80 which have static nat to allow external trafic in. many thanks.

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

mmm ... I see what could be happening when you initiate the connection from site A to smtp server on port 25 ... the router might be NATing the return traffic because of the static instructions. Is there any way you could add a virtual adapter or seconday IP address to those servers ... In that way you could use the secondary address when connecting from side A only ...

I hope it helps ... Please rate it if it does !!!

That sounds a bit drastic? how do other comapnies solve this, I can't be alone in this? You are correct that the static routes are somehow stopping internal trafic to port 25 and 80. Thanks so far...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: