cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN using Internet Access via Satellite

gbuetow
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of users that are accessing the internet via Satellite communications. One user has tried to use VPN and was not successful. Two other users are moving to areas where the only access to the internet will be via satellite communications. I am looking for information on using Cisco VPN Client software and Internet access over satellite communication.

5 Replies 5

bbenton
Level 1
Level 1

We've had success with users on the one-way (up via phone line and isp, and down thru satellite) satellite systems. "Some" two way systems (up and down via the satellite) can work but their thruput is no more than 35k max, providing you can get proxy type software and really screw with different configs to get it working. We've abandoned the two way for now.

btrice
Level 1
Level 1

I have had success with users on Directway. During early testing with unknown services, i had to disable the Keepalive functions on the concentrator and radius server. Just something to try.

Thanks for the info. I have about 500 users on the concentrator and many more on the radius server. I could configure a new group on the concentrator for the satellite users and disable the keepalives but I don't know if I can do that on the radius server. Did you use Cisco VPN Client software when you did your testing? I read about Direcway about a year ago and I was lead to believe that they used different software that was not compatible with Cisco and they had to spof the acknowlegements to make it work.

Glenn Hanratty
Level 1
Level 1

I had some users with working VPN connections into our network until Direcway changed something...and they couldn't connect anymore. The only fix came from Direcway, and their solution is to assign a static IP address to the satellite subscriber; for an additional 40.00/month. After the user got a static IP, VPN worked again (Into a 3005 concentrator.)

Thanks for the information. I will contact Direcway again and get information from them about how to configure the users to make it work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: