cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN3002 DHCP

bhp
Level 1
Level 1

The DHCP relay functionality 3002 ->> 3000 has not been implemented in the 3.6.7 code.

What are the plans for this functionality?

In this setup the VPN3002 does not support the DHCP option (Novell SLP) so we have to find another way of distributing this address - any suggestions?

8 Replies 8

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

While going through the release notes for 3.6, I came accross something known as 'DHCP Relay for Wireless Operation'. See if it helps. (http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/vpn3000/3_6/3_6con3k.htm#xtocid14). Another place to look for is

'Configuring a Connection Between the VPN 3002 Hardware Client and a VPN 3000 Concentrator in Network Extension Mode'

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn_3002_nem_5402.html

Thanks,

But it seems that the' DHCP Relay for wireless operation' is not going to work with a setup that includes the 3002 Hardware Client.

In the 3002 - >> 3005 setup it is the client behind the 3002 that asks for the relaying of DHCP through the 3002 and I have seen no documentation of this feauture yet.

This is totally lame on Cisco part. How can you advertise DHCP relay and them say (oh, it's only for wireless). I have a customer who bought off on this and now is pissed and wants to move to something else that can. Why the hell are your developers working on crap that is not widely deployed yet and don't even have the basic down?

Another CiscoISM

jerry.roy
Level 1
Level 1

The DHCP relay functionality 3002 ->> 3000 has not been implemented in the 3.6.7 code. What are the plans for this functionality?

Can we get an answer from Cisco on when this will be released? Does the DHCP Server on the 3002 Have the ability to allow me to register mac addresses of devices?

I agree!

Could you please give a relase date?

We also have a customer waiting just for this. In a setup with 50 VPN3002. They are using novell with needs DHCP attributes that is not even supported by the 3002 - therefore they are very dependent on the relay functionality.

Come on Cisco!!

If the 3002 unit supports DHCP, you KNEW people were going to ask you for the normal features so why didn't you just do it right in the 1st place? I have 85 sites that have to use the crappy 3002 DHCP server you created because you did not look at the market and do your homework and note that all the other VPN Vendors (SonicWall, NetScreen, Nortel) were doing DHCP relay. So since I have to use your dhcp server, it seems you would have at least allowed me to enable IP address reservation for hosts who's IP's cannot change (like Printers - Duh!) but NOOOOO!!!! You were "half ass'in" it again.

Hmm...looks like we will have to wait for an "Ask the experts" session for this answer. Mr. or Ms. Moderator any comments? DHCP relay on the 3002 would solve ALOT of problems and make life so much easier for many. If it can't be done for whatever reason at least let us know why and if we can even expect a resolution.

Did you manage to get an anwser from Cisco on when the DHCP Relay function will be available in the VPN3002 client?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: