cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN3002 Tunnel Down After DHCP Lease Expires

dennis
Level 1
Level 1

My 3002 has a problem when the DHCP lease expires for the outside interface. I am using a cable modem for Intrenet access (Motorola Surfboard SB3100). When the lease expires it gets renewed OK but sometimes the tunnel will go down and not recover. The ISP seems to change things often, sometimes I will keep the same address for weeks, other times it will change over and over. Lease time vary a lot too, right now it is 30 minutes, other times it has been 1 week.

The quickest fix that I have found is to connect to the 3002 and force a renew on the interface. This will bring the tunnel back up. Most times the IP address remains the same but sometimes I will get a new address.

Just getting tired of reseting the lease to get me back on line. Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

awaheed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dennis,

Kindly make sure to use the latest software for both the 3002 and the Cable modem, additionally the best test in this regard is usually to try through another connection and see if it causes the same effect to see if its an ISP related issue or not. At this time the latest software 3.6 for the 3002 works fine through Cable Modems and shouldn't have this issue. If it still doesn't work then kindly open a TAC case for further troubleshooting on this.

Regards,

Aamir

-=-

We have been experiencing this as well. Same Motorola and 3002 is at 3.6.3 release, as is the 3005. Am thinking of changing ISP's, but would like to know if there are any other ideas to try first. We have no problems on DSL, only cable (2 sites on DSL, 1 on cable). Thanks for any more insight, Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: