cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What determines the size of the rsa keys that can be generated on a device?

Yermander
Level 1
Level 1

According to this pdf:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/security/a1/sec-a1-xe-3se-3650-cr-book/sec-a1-xe-3se-3850-cr-book_chapter_0110.pdf

It appears to me that any device running an image before Cisco IOS Release 15.1(1)T was capable of creating a key size of 2048 and that any device running the image above and those thereafter would be able to create keys of 4096

Am I correct in saying this. I know it's a slightly obscure question hence the reason I am struggling to find an answer for this. Any help greatly appreciated. TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes - that's confirmed in the Release Notes for IOS 15.1(1)T.

Non-IOS devices (ASA, Wireless controllers etc.) will each have their own release dependencies.

Also - note for some release trains IOS 12.x enhancements were released after IOS 15.1(1)T so those might also have 4096-bit key support.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes - that's confirmed in the Release Notes for IOS 15.1(1)T.

Non-IOS devices (ASA, Wireless controllers etc.) will each have their own release dependencies.

Also - note for some release trains IOS 12.x enhancements were released after IOS 15.1(1)T so those might also have 4096-bit key support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: