cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What Equipment is needed for Multi Office & Remote User VPN

stownsend
Level 2
Level 2

We are trying to set up a VPN between 4 Offices and some home users. We have a PIX515R that we can use.

What Else do I need. Our main focus is to keep each of the sites secure (as they are connected via the internet, and to only allow the remote offices and home office users access to the Corporate information.

All of the Corp info is located in One Office, Most of the other offices are sales offices which only access the data at the Corp Office. The Sales Offices have at most 10 people in them. One of the remte offices relies heavilly on Internt content. Most of the Offices are connected to the Internet via DSL, we were thinking of going to Frame to get better upload connection speeds.

I've been told to use the PIX with VPN Concentrators, or the VPN enabled routers.

Any Suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Scott<-

3 Replies 3

ssoberlik
Level 4
Level 4

The 515 is a good start at corporate. I would still put a 3000 series concentrator in there to terminate the remote sites and mobile users VPN’s. At the remote offices, if you don’t have a firewall solution, put some small PIX’s in there and run your VPN from those to the Concentrator or get some small routers (1700 series perhaps?) and run IOS Firewall and IPSEC on that. There are a lot of options and it’s hard to make an exact recommendation without seeing your site.

Thank you for the reply!!

I've put up a test network with the PIX and its going well. We are undecided on if we should use An Authentication Server (RADIUS and IAS) or use Certificates.

Which is easier to manage? More Secure? Our Sales guys come and go so I'd want to be able to make it so they cant get in after they leave the company.

Thanks,

Scott<-

VPN enabled routers is the way I would go, provides a lot of functionality, and a whole lot more flexibility. Give your local Sales Engineer a shout and they can lay out your options more clearly:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/687/Directory.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: