cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the fastest VPN enabled Firewall Router that Cisco makes?

cmtyuser
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at VPN solutions and I'd like to know what the fastest VPN/Firewall router that Cisco makes is (in terms of bandwith capability).

Thanks

1 Reply 1

agironda
Level 1
Level 1

Hmrn... Router, not PIX?

Option 1:

The 7206VXR/NPE-300 with dual ISA's (Integrated Service Adapters) and/or NSE-1. Use the ISA's to hardware accelerate your IPSEC or PPTP/MPPE encryption. Use the NSE-1 to hardware accelerate your CEF, NAT, NetFlow, QoS, tunnels, and by using turbo ACLs. Get IP/FW/IDS software if you need CBAC or additional firewall features.

Option 2:

The 7576 dual RSP8 and/or VIP4-80's. Only distributes CEF, CAR, NetFlow, QoS, std, ext, named, or turbo access-lists, and GRE tunnels, however -- not NAT, IPSEC encryption, or other security technologies. Get IP/FW/IDS software if you need CBAC or additional firewall features.

If you are doing heavy IPSEC/L2TP and PPTP/MPPE (both), along with heavy CBAC configurations, I would probably go with Opt 1.

If you are doing heavy ACLs with CAR, Opt 2 gives you DCAR and distributed ACL capabilities. Across 5 or 6 VIP cards, this would be pretty fast, if you aggregate correctly.

I would guess Opt 1 is for more static topologies, and Opt 2 assumes a highly aggressive aggregation scheme.