Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What platforms have you used Cisco Secure IDS Director on?

Only on HP-UX and Solaris? I was hoping that the director would run on FreeBSD as we have one old sparc workstation here and no HP-UX. Can everyone let me know what they have successfully ran the Secure IDS Director on? Thanks a ton!

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: What platforms have you used Cisco Secure IDS Director on?

The Unix Director will ONLY work on HP-UX and Solaris Sparc. The daemons have to execute some low level commands which differ on each OS. So the dameons have to recompiled with libraries for the specific OS which usually winds up requiring large amounts of code fixes as well so only HP-UX and Solaris Sparc are supported. Even with Solaris Sparc only version 2.5.1 and later are supported if you happen to be able to get the older versions of HP OpenView that run on them. The later versions of HP OpenView do not run on some of the older Sparc versions.

As an alternative you could use CSPM version 2.3.2i which is supported on Windows NT 4.0.

It may be cheaper to buy the single PC with windows and purchase CSPM, then having to buy a new Sparc, HP OpenView, and the Unix Director software.

Great, so CSPM will do the same functions as OpenView and the Director software?

Cisco Employee

Very Similar.

Unix Director gives you a little more granular control of configuration than CSPM but only highly advanced users would ever really need the extra granular control.

The CSPM Viewer gives you more of a spreadsheat type view of alarms instead of the icon view in OV.

In many cases it comes down to user preference of Unix or Windows as to which product they use to manage their sensors. Each has their own string points and weak points when compared, but both work well for managing the sensors.

Ah, looks like CSPM runs around $10k or so... Much cheaper than buying a sparc and OpenView. Thanks a lot for your help marcabal, I really appreciate it. I much more prefer a windows interface for this kind of thing, especially since we have tons of spare machines sitting around.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content