cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what's vrf

liaochunhui
Level 1
Level 1

when i learned about the security of a case ,i met a word "VRF" and look for the answer for quite a while and couln't ,who can tell me what is the VRF

2 Replies 2

rochopra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey

Following link can give you details on vrf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRF

Thanks

Rohit

ggilbert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

VRF is Virtual Route Forwarding.

Here is a good definition about it. Got from one of the google searches. :)

Virtual Routing and Forwarding

Virtual routing and forwarding (VRF) is a technology included in IP(Internet Protocol) network routers that allows multiple instances of a routing table to exist in a router and work simultaneously. This increases functionality by allowing network paths to be segmented without using multiple devices.

Because traffic is automatically segregated, VRF also increases network security and can eliminate the need for encryption and authentication. Internet service providers

(ISPs) often take advantage of VRF to create separate virtual private networks (VPNs) for customers; thus the technology is also referred to as VPN routing and forwarding.

VRF acts like a logical router, but while a logical router may include many routing tables, a VRF instance uses only a single routing table. In addition, VRF requires a forwarding table that designates the next

hop for each data packet, a list of devices that may be called upon to forward the packet, and a set of rules and routing protocols that

govern how the packet is forwarded. These tables prevent traffic from being forwarded outside a specific VRF path and also keep out traffic that should remain outside the VRF path.