cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where is in the world is the update 3.1(3)S36 for the 4200 ?

mhicks
Level 1
Level 1

I received an email stated that 3.1(3)S36 for the 4200 was available. I cannot find where to download it. Also the email claims that 3.1(3)S31 must be installed for the update to work. Does this mean that the IDS 4200s that have 3.1(3)S35 running should not use this update?

8 Replies 8

brenden
Level 1
Level 1

I wondered the same thing myself..I only see S35..

Brenden

In addition to the queries already made in this thread, I am wondering why the Active Update makes no mention of an S36 update available for VMS/IDS Management Center. In the past, signature updates for the IDS MC have lagged several days to a couple of weeks behind. This inconsistency is unacceptable. Cisco has had an issue with their "email notification processes" in the recent past and updates were not sending correctly. It's nice to see updates are actually being received now, the only caveat is that Cisco is announcing the availability of items which they haven't made available for download.

Again, this oversight is not acceptable from pure customer viewpoint.

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

3.1(3)S31 is a Service Pack and not just a Signature Update.

While 3.1(3)S35 was just a Signature Update.

Also 3.1(3)S36 was just a Signature Udpate.

The only way to know that 3.1(3)S31 was a Service Pack is to look at the upgrade file itself. It has an "sp" in the name, instead of "sig".

When looking at the version number it is the number in parenthesis that determines the Service Pack level. So with 3.1(3)S31 the Service Pack level is 3.1(3).

In general when you are applying a Signature Update (with "sig" in the file name") then the Service Pack level on the box needs to match the Service Pack level in the Signature Update version.

So with 3.1(3)S36 the 3.1(3)Sx Service Pack has to have been installed.

Versions 3.1(3)S31, 3.1(3)S32, 3.1(3)S33, 3.1(3)S34, and 3.1(3)S35 all have the 3.1(3) Service Pack level so 3.1(3)S36 can be installed on them just fine.

Unlike 3.1(2)S30 which has a 3.1(2) Service Pack level. If you tried to install 3.1(3)S36 on it you would get an error that the Service Pack level does not match since 3.1(2) != 3.1(3). So if you have a 3.1(2)S30 sensor you have to install the 3.1(3)S31 Service Pack first.

So the end result of this long answer is that yes you can upgrade directly from 3.1(3)S35 to 3.1(3)S36 without any problems.

The questions remain:

1. Where is S36, as stated in the email?

2. The email doesn't mention VMS/IDS MC, will it also be available at the same time? (hasn't in the past)

Due to a logistical error, the announcement of S36 was sent before the files were available on CCO. The files had already been submitted for posting and are scheduled to be available tomorrow (12/12/2002). The MC update is also scheduled be available tomorrow. Future Active Updates will include information about MC updates.

I need to upgrade from 3.0(1)S4 to whatever is the latest IDS software. Reading the release notes and this forum indicate I need v3.1(3)S31 service pack first but this does not seem to be one of the files listed.

Please help with correct procedure and whereabouts of Service pack

Paul

You will need to install the following files in order:

IDSk9-sp-3.1-2-S23.bin

IDSk9-sp-3.1-3-S31.bin

IDS-sig-3.1-3-S38.bin (optional)

IDSk9-sig-3.1-3-S39.bin

All of these files can be found in the "Latest Software" section of the CCO software download page, along with their respective readme files. The "S38" signature update is optional because all of the signatures included in this update are also in "S39". The difference is, "S39" was an emergency release and does not contain the NSDB, which you may find useful. The NSDB will also be included in the "S40" update when it gets released, so skipping "S38" right now is probably not a big deal.