cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Who can give me advice

Guus13
Level 1
Level 1

I 've a serious problem between a switch and my firewall. Many times a day my connection drops between the 2 devices. The only thing I can see on the switch is that the interface is down and after about 2 minutes it becomes active again.

Oct 8 12:35:19: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/9, changed state to

up

Oct 8 12:36:37: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet

0/9, changed state to down

Oct 8 12:36:38: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/9, changed state to

up

Oct 8 12:36:39: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet

0/9, changed state to up

Oct 8 12:36:46: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet0/9, changed state to

up

Does anyone have a solution were to look for the problem.

I've already changed the GBIC, fiber and position on the switch.

11 Replies 11

osam
Level 1
Level 1

Is this taking place to all PIX interfaces or just one interface?

It's only the connection between the inside interface of the PIX with the switch

JOSH GANT
Level 1
Level 1

Is it a PIX? Is it a 3550? If it is not a PIX, exactly what brand is the Gig NIC?

I have had problems with Intel Gig NIC's in Windows 2000.

Perhaps I didn't phrase my question well, but it's only the connection between the PIX and the 3550.

The GBIC's we use are from Cisco

Hi,

Try changing the speed/duplex mode of the PIX interface. It should work..

Regards,

Naveen

Thanks for your answer.

But, on the interface of the PIX we have configured it as 1000sxfull.

Guus

I think there may be a problem with the PIX card itself.. try using another one..

Hai Osam,

I want to come back on an earlier question of you. That was, whether it concerned only that interface or all interfaces on the PIX.

Well, it concerns all interfaces of the PIX. That's what I can say now. My last action was to connect the gig interface to another switch. On that switch is also our DMZ connection from the PIX. At the time that the connection from the switch to the inside interface is down, the DMZ connection is also down.

With what command can I see some problems on the PIX.

What CiscoSecure OS version do you have runninig on the PIX? I remember reading something about a bug in that regard, that's why I actually was asking you this question.

OS version 6.2(1)

pdm vERSION 2.0(1)

We found out that the PIX is rebooting every time.

We have logged the console of the PIX and got a traceback file.

To print the log here, then it would be a very large mail.

No need Guss, I was almost sure of this bug issue, it is a known bug with GBIC card in PIX on 6.2, I think you may need upgrade the OS.

Check bug ID, CSCeb60165

Are you running RIP on the PIX or have too many static routes? If so, check this bug as well "CSCdy40004"

You may find it in a different OS minor version when this bug been reported, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in other minor releases.. Just check the bugs and see if they are relevant to what you have..

Since I am not familiar with your environment, I can not recommend a certain OS version in case you are left with no choice but to upgrade. Me personally would check if ver 6.3(3) is good for your environment or not.. read its release notes before you decide to go for it..