Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Will running a VPN work in this situation?

Currently we have one user at a remote office with a frame-relay connection to an ISP there (Cisco 2600 Series Router)and she connects via PC Anywhere across the internet, back here at our main office (Basic T1 connection w/ Cisco 2600 Series Router). We are using a Checkpoint Firewall here at our main office. I was told to implement a VPN to eliminate the use of PC Anywhere and to get her directly connected to our Server instead of a "host" PC. Will building just a VPN do this? (Already have IP PLUS IPSEC 3DES FEATURE PACK software image on both 2600's) If a VPN is the soluion, should the VPN Tunnel be built between the 2 routers or the remote router and our Chaeckpoint Firewall? (I am thinking the latter).

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Will running a VPN work in this situation?

I would try to build the VPN between the remote router and your firewall but I’ve read other posts that say it’s difficult with Checkpoint. If you have the firewall feature set on the headquarters router, you should just eliminate checkpoint and use a firewall feature set and IPSEC right on the router. In any case, this will encrypt the traffic from your remote user to your office which is great. I was reading somewhere that PC Anywhere sessions are easily hijacked and certainly clear text.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content