Views
Helpful
Replies

WINDOWS 2000 VPN CLIENT

GARYT68
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I am new to the PIX firerwall product, My LAN currently has a PIX firewall Model 501. I want to set up a Windows 2000 pro machine as VPN client to connect to a bussiness partner's VPN server(MS windows 2000 VPN server on Internet. Which vpn client soft ware do i need to install on My machine? Which port do i need to open on the firewall in order to make this VPN connection

work?

Thank very much for any help!

Garyt68

5 Replies 5

wolfrikk
Level 3
Level 3

It is easiest to use PPTP for windows VPN through a PIX. You need to open up the GRE protocol and TCP Port 1723 to allow Windows VPN through the PIX. Here is a link for this.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263925

Thank very much for your reply, can you please tell me what is the Cisco vpn client software for? Can you show me the mapping lines for opening the

GRE protocol and TCP port on the PIX firewall?

Garyt68

The Cisco VPN client is their VPN Client. I haven't tried using it with other VPN Servers besides Cisco.

The ACL command for allowing VPN through a PIX would be.

Access-list permit tcp eq 1723

Access-list permit gre

For the Company's Sale people who remotely connect to the PIX from out side

do they need to install Cisco VPN client software on to their machine?

Garyt68

That would be true for connecting to the PIX, be he said they wanted to connecto to someone's Windows 2000 VPN Server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: