Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Windows Name broadcasting through PIX firewall

I have my LAN and DMZ seperated by PIX515. All the computers on the LAN under the windows domain A, and all the servers in DMZ under the workgroup called B. I wanted to see B and its servers on any of computers on the LAN in Network Neighbourhood, but i could not see it, although i can find those servers in B through Computer Search function in Windows.

I guess that it might be due to the name broadcasting packets are dropped by the firewall dmz interface so the LAN computers could not see B and its servers. Am i guessing right?

What shall i do to enable all the LAN computers to be able to see B and its servers in Network Neighbourhood?

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Windows Name broadcasting through PIX firewall

Pl. set up syslog and see which ports are getting blocked on the PIX. Then you can open up those port going from lower to higher security, thanks, Mynul

Silver

Opening the ports to do this will defeat a lot of the reasons to have a DMZ. Why do you want to see these machines in network neighborhood?

It is just for convenience, so that everytime, if somebody has to access the servers in DMZ, he/she does not need to type in the computer name or ip address to search for it.

Views
Helpful
Replies