Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Windows VMS hardware setup

I am getting ready to begin installation of the VMS and other software that shipped with my IDS unit. I have a server with a gig processor, 1 gig of physical memory and two drives. The first drive is a 4 gig partition that contains the OS and has about 1.5 gig free. The second drive is 12.8 gig of which the 2.5 gig virtual partion has been created.

I am thinking of installing all the software onto the second drive leaving the first drive untouched. Do I have enough space on the second drive for this plan to work? Would it be better to install all the software onto the first drive and allow the second drive to be strickly data storage? The documentation only stated that I need 9 gig minimum with a note about the actual amount needed dependent upon the number of common services client applications I install. So far I am still trying to work out a maximum. I am just trying to avoid having to reinstall if I run out of drive space.

I know I will be installing VMS, RME and at least the IPS MC. I will probably eventually install the firewall MC and CSA MC.

Good plan or recommended changes to make a great plan??

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Windows VMS hardware setup

The specs on the server are fine.

The plan would be made great by not trying to install too many applications on a single server. Please correct me if that is not your intention.

RME and CSA MC and Firewall MC together on one box will run very slowly. From my experience these applications currently require separate servers for them to function well. Please share with us if you know something different.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Windows VMS hardware setup

Cool thanks for the verification on the server specs.

From a final production standpoint I am going to have at least two servers. I am going to use my existing server for the IDS MC and RME. These are the two critical applications that I need now. CSA and Security Monitor may be installed on a test basis and then moved to a permanent server. This will depend on when I can purchase my second server.

Thanks again

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content