Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows VPN out through PIX 506e router fails

pawzageddon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I've been banging my head on this one for a while now. We've got a PIX 506e router set up here, and we can VPN out with the Cisco VPN client to another company's network, without a problem.

However, when I try to connect to yet another network using plain old Windows VPN, it fails to connect. It find the target network but then times out on the username/password check with a "Server not responding" error.

I'm fairly certain my windows VPN settings are correct because I can use the Windows VPN client to connect to the target network from a non-secure machine that doesn't go through our router.

I'm hoping someone with a little more experience with this stuff can give me some advice.

Thanks,

Andrew

6 Replies 6

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

i believe you are referring to pptp vpn.

if so, apply the fixup protocol command on the pix 506e as below:

fixup protocol pptp 1723

Ok, I tried running the fixup protocol command, but it just gives me "Bad protocol pptp" and doesn't seem to do anything.

Perhaps I need to back up a whole bunch as well, make sure I haven't missed anything.

How would I go about setting up the capability to VPN with PPTP out through the router in the first place?

thanks,

i guess the pix is running v6.2 or earlier.

to configure "fixup protocol pptp 1723", you'll need to upgrade to v6.3. further, this command is all you need to permit outbound pptp vpn.

Alright.. How do I go about getting an upgrade to the latest version? Do I need to get a service contract etc or is there a download location where I can get the upgrade?

Thanks,

yes, a service contract is required.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: